Prof. Burkhard Schwenker (born 1958) is Chairman of the Advisory Council of Roland Berger as of July 2015. He was previously Chairman of the Supervisory Board (2010-2013; 2014-2015) and longstanding CEO (2003-2010; 2013-2014) for the strategy consultancy. Burkhard Schwenker was first appointed to the company's Global Executive Committee in 1998.
Schwenker studied mathematics and business administration. After starting his career at PWA Papierwerke Waldhof-Aschaffenburg AG and completing his Ph.D., he joined Roland Berger in 1989 and was elected Partner in 1992. He is an expert in strategy, organization and corporate transformation. Burkhard Schwenker is a recognized author who regularly writes books and articles on hot topics in strategy and management, as well as on economic and industrial policy.
Burkhard Schwenker teaches strategic management at the Leipzig Graduate School of Management (HHL), where he is also Academic Co-Director of HHL's Center for Scenario Planning. He held a seat on the Board of the German Academic Association for Business Research (VHB) until 2014 and is currently Deputy Chairman of VHB – Board of Friends e.V. He is also a member of the University Council at the Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg. In addition, he is a Trustee of Dresden International University and the EBS Universität für Wirtschaft und Recht (University for Business and Law). Burkhard Schwenker is also a Visiting Fellow at the Saïd Business School, University of Oxford.
In addition to his professional and academic work, Burkhard Schwenker takes an active role in numerous sociopolitical institutions and foundations. For instance, he is Chairman of the Roland Berger Foundation's Board of Trustees, Deputy Chairman of Atlantik Brücke e.V. and Chairman of the Board of the Hamburg Symphony Orchestra. He is a member of the Senate or Board of Trustees for the following: ZEIT-Stiftung, Germany's National Academy of Science and Engineering (acatech); the Wittenberg Center for Global Ethics e.V.; the Wertekommission – Initiative wertebewusste Führung (Values Commission for the Initiative on Values-Based Management); the Stiftung Initiative Wertestipendium (Foundation for the Values Stipend Initiative); and the "Lebendige Stadt" ("Vibrant City") Foundation. He is also involved in Wissensfabrik e.V. (Knowledge Factory), where one of his roles is as Chairman of the Jury for the Weconomy award for startups.
Burkhard Schwenker is also a member of the Supervisory Boards at Evisco AG, Munich and the Hamburger Sparkasse (Haspa).
Burkhard Schwenker is married with three grown children and lives in Hamburg.
- China: Kollaps, "New Normal" oder neues Wachstumsmodell?, THINK ACT (German only), 2015
- The impact of economic sanctions – Our Economic Scenario Update 9/2014, THINK ACT, 2014
- Economic Scenario for Germany, THINK ACT (only available in German), 2014
- Scenario-based strategic planning – Developing strategies in an uncertain world, Book, 2013
- On Good Management, Book, 2013
- Economic scenario 2013, THOUGHTS, 2013
- Upheaval in the Arab world - Scenario-Update, think: act CONTENT, 2011
- Three times three - Scenario update, think: act CONTENT, 2011
- re: think CEO - Europe shows the way! The case for a superior management model, Book (in German), 2011
- Scenario planning, think: act CONTENT, 2010
- Crisis scenario update, think: act CONTENT, 2010
- What effects remain from 2009? ... what's developing in 2010?, think: act mini (in German), 2009
- Handbook Utility Management, Book, 2009
- Three questions on the crisis, think: act CONTENT, 2009
- And now?, think: act CONTENT Special, 2008
- System Head Germany Plus, Study, 2008
- Apple, Bosch and Zara, think: act CONTENT no. 13, 2008
- System head Germany plus, Study by The Federation of German Industries (BDI), the Bavarian Business Association (vbw), the German Business Institute Cologne (IW Köln) and Roland Berger Strategy Consultants., 2008
- Management between Strategy and Finance, Book (in German) by Burkhard Schwenker and Klaus Spremann, 2008
- Corporate responsibility – How it can be profitable, Brochure, 2007