The Future of Norway
8 crucial steps to embrace Industrie 4.0
Environmentally and educationally, Norway is very well positioned. Despite a relatively low manufacturing share, potential abounds. Recently, I was invited by the Minister of Trade and Industry Monica Mæland to present recommendations to the Norwegian industry on how the Scandinavian nation can best capitalize on Industrie 4.0.
When it comes to Industrie 4.0, the implications are crystal clear. Digitization is well and truly upon us and the effects will be felt by every company across all industries. Companies need to adapt or they will fail, it is that simple. We at Roland Berger regard eight recommendations as crucial for the Norwegian government to leverage its position and encourage economic growth.
- Secure the remaining industrial value added in Norway and try to increase it wherever possible.
- Allow for fast usage of Industrie 4.0 technologies in these companies.
- Foster innovation in selected areas and foster a culture of innovation.
- Encourage and support alliances between companies and institutions on a national level.
- Take an active role in explaining and promoting Industrie 4.0 within own industrial companies.
- Define a vision for the Norwegian Industrie 4.0 initiative and the corresponding partners.
- Install proper marketing support in related areas using the different government agencies.
- Co-ordinate all relevant players in Norway and set up a national Industrie 4.0 road map.
Industrie 4.0 will have a fundamental impact on traditional ways of doing business. Companies must embrace new technologies and ride the fast approaching wave of digitization. The Norwegian government is in the driver's seat and tasked with steering the country in the right direction to build upon its already solidly laid foundations.
- Photos Jasmina007 / iStockphoto; vladacanon / iStockphoto